Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Some Housekeeping

Let me start this piece off with a bit of a complaint.  As news consumers, Americans have such a short attention span that major, long-trending stories can gain no traction.  I am appalled that a few short weeks after the fires in Baltimore were extinguished, there is hardly a word spoken about the riots, or Freddie Grey.  It would be easy to say that CNN and related news outlets will report on an endless string of stories where a photo opportunity occurs behind the reporter, and that reporting stops when the viewer gets bored.  I am more concerned that these 24-hour news feeds make editorial decisions based on viewers’ appetites; as such, the news is not content-driven, but market-driven.  News has been reduced to a segment of the entertainment machine, and predictably content,  depth, and a willingness to report on second-tier stories have suffered.
Given that criticism, I find myself thinking about addressing matters of peace that seem urgent.  In fact, many of the issues that come out of the news of the day are urgent.  I would like to do a deep dive into Syria, Iraq and ISIS.  The proposed Iran nuclear deal is incredibly important.  Events in Yemen, Burundi and Burma vie for my attention as well.  Nonetheless, I am not writing these pieces to keep up with the day’s news, and so I will only refer to these issues tangentially, so that I can follow some long term trends, and keep a longer conversation moving along.  I apologize if you think that I should devote more of my time to Middle Eastern issues, or the Guantanamo Bay prison, or the Ukraine.  They are all worthy of our attention.  Instead, I will keep a discussion (a dialogue would be OK ;-) ) going about a finite number of themes that will allow us all to become better educated, and to become better peacemakers.  To that end, for the remainder of 2015, I plan on limiting my posts the following:
·         Justice for the American underclass.  My recent post titled ‘Baltimore and Beyond’ can be seen as a launch of this thread,
·         The South Sudan Civil War, to the end of educating my followers and exploring how conflicts rise and continue, and how peace might develop,
·         The worldwide migration of vulnerable people,
·         A retrospective of the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki 70 years later, which will include current non-proliferation challenges, and an introduction to the pacifism of Thomas Merton,
·         The connection between peace and art, to break from the politics and brighten this space a bit.  This is a new idea that I’m looking forward to, and
·         A calendar of peace events in Greater Boston, or perhaps throughout New England, which was always a goal of this blog.

I hope that keeping to these issues will bring my writing into better focus, and allow for better reading for you.  As the 1500th pageview will most likely happen over the next few weeks, I’ll want to write more regularly, and build my readership.  Thanks.  Look forward to a follow-up on Baltimore in the next few days, and a cycle through of each of the items I’ve promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment