Friday, February 17, 2012

No essay today - just some quick notes

I find that I enjoy writing essays.  I wish that I had enjoyed writing them when I was in school.  Nonetheless, if you've been following along, you might want a break from my writing.  So, to keep things fresh, I'm going to change it up a little today.  I will continue with my train of thought soon, though.

Do you remember the Cenepa War?  I had never heard of it until I was poking around on the internet.  It was a border between Peru and Ecueador dispute in 1995 that became horribly violent in in January and February of that year.  It killed 1,000 people.  No one 'won'.  I think arbitration might have prevented it.  In any case, today is a day to be joyful, because 17 years ago today, the UN brokered a cease-fire (and later a peace treaty), and the war ended.  So take a moment and celebrate the anniverary of some peace.

So, today, I'd like it to be your turn, please use the comment tool and let me know:

1. Do you consider yourself a peacemaker?

2. Have you ever been involved in a war or other significant violence?  If so, how did it change how you look at the world?

3. Have you ever participated in a peace action (protest meeting or the like)?  What did you think of the experience?

That's it.  Comment as little or as much as you want.  I hope to hear from you.

Sorry - one more:  Do any of you out there blog?  I'd love to sgare contact info with you for help on practical and technical stuff.

Peace,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment