Saturday, February 11, 2012


Getting started:  What inspires you?

An essay by Bill McKenna   ©2012



Now that I have two postings about US policy done, let me try to explain what I want to do with this blog.  I do want to explore the events of the day that bring us further, or hopefully closer, to peace from time to time.  But I am more interested in laying out a comprehensive argument that we, as a world community, can improve our relationships to a greater degree than we have been able to before, and it is probably the single most important aspiration that we can strive for.

I have a lot to say on the subject of peace, and I intend to be somewhat systematic in my thesis, so I ask for your patience as you read on.  I think it will be a more interesting blog if you engage me with commentary.  The best way to explore some of the things I post will be to engage in dialogue.  It is my hope that I can influence you to think about peace in a constructive way, and perhaps even inspire you to do great things.  I sincerely wish that you thoughtfully reciprocate.

I plan to bring the discussion along by discussing inspiration first:  Why should we try to be peacemakers?  In fact, that is where I am taking you this evening.  In the next few posts, I will want to discuss some of the important philosophical milestones, and some of the history of war and peace.  Before you get glassy eyes over philosophy and history, please understand that I don’t intend to dwell too long on those matters.  I am trying to make the case that we are approaching a time where peace is going to become more likely; in fact, I will try to make the case that it will be inevitable.  Once I have my thesis presented, at least in a sketch, I want to undertake some logic discussions which will give us an idea of what a more peaceful world will look like.  I’m afraid my vision isn’t utopian, but it is uplifting and optimistic.

So, would you like to be a peacemaker?  I think you can be, and it starts with yourself.

                “You must be the change you want to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Rejecting violence is difficult.  Have you ever been outraged?  When someone acts so irresponsibly that they endanger someone, or in fact kill or harm someone, outrage is a normal reaction.  I have felt outrage toward drunk drivers and domestic abusers.  But my outrage never erased the harm done by the object of my scorn.  The most we can hope for from a feeling of outrage is an outcome of justice.  While that justice may be partly satisfactory to our sense of order and fairness, dwelling on justice for a callous act will most likely yield disappointment.

There is another way we can deal with such acts, and that is through forgiveness.  I don’t know if we can ever abandon that outrage we feel from time to time, and the drive for justice helps us maintain civil society. Yet if we learn forgiveness, we hold open the door for redemption and improvement.  Even if the offending person is sentenced to life in prison their humanity is worth consideration.  So is your own.

Learning compassion is difficult and slow.  Perhaps you will never master the self-control to be considered truly compassionate.  Nonetheless, if you consider forgiveness, and try to be a more compassionate person you are on the right track.  You may inspire someone else to change themselves in a similar way.  If so, you are then a peacemaker.

To start looking at the world as a peacemaker, you’re going to need support.  Positive support from people who notice your peaceful attitude and encourage you are important, but you can’t rely on sustaining your outlook on occasional personal encouragement.  Instead, you need to see that it is the right way to conduct yourself, and this comes from a sense of ethics.

At this point, I want to reveal to you that I am a Christian, and believe that humanity has been saved through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  I have not mentioned this so far for two important reasons.  First, I don’t think that my own life and faith is important to the development of these postings.  It is most certainly the greatest wellspring of my inspiration, and influences my world outlook so it is essential to me, but frankly, these posts aren’t about me.  Secondly, although I would be glad to discuss Christianity as it applies to my thesis, or perhaps as it may apply to you personally, the teachings of Christ are only one source of wisdom and inspiration, and encourage everyone to find a peaceful self.  In faith, I will personally maintain a singular eschatology, that the resurrected Christ is the savior of the world, but otherwise claim no unique wisdom in Christianity.  The desire for peace, the virtue of forgiveness and the hope for the betterment of humanity can be found in all worthwhile faiths, and secular philosophies.  I believe it is these virtues that, in fact, define humanity.

So to conclude tonight’s post, ask yourself where you derive your inspiration from.  Are you able to develop the wisdom to look toward peace with that inspiration?  Leave me a comment on how you are doing with being the change you want to see in the world.  I sincerely thank you for your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment